Camping 101

Shannon already did a good summary of this weekend's festivities. I'll expand upon the crazy 20'somethings that were camped next to us. We had a fun time camping at Cedar Hill State Park, and thankfully Ben did really good! (Well, except those two times he ran in the street!) That kid is going to give me a heart attack! John got a great fire going and we had foil dinners for dinner. Kelli got all creative with salmon in theirs so I think we'll do some experimenting with foil dinners!

The kids were having so much fun playing together they didn't want to go to sleep! After smores and a lot of chatting we put most of the kids to bed but we had to let Ben cry it out. Can't blame the kid, though, it was pretty warm in our tent. The people camping next to us were as bad as we expected with a ton of noise and a radio blaring rap music the entire evening. We all ended up going to sleep around 11:30 and most of the kids were asleep around them as well. It took me forever to go to sleep because the ground was so hard because we didn't have room in our car from the mattresses Ginny let us borrow!

John can correct this info for accuracy since I was half asleep the whole time, but at about 1:30 I woke up and John wasn't in the tent. I looked out of the tent and he was walking around keeping his eye on some things outside. Apparently there had been an altercation between another camper and the people next to us which caused the Park Ranger to bring in the Cedar Hill police. John was keeping an eye on the situation and when I woke up the officer was writing them all citations, though he did threaten to take them to jail. They had thrown some picnic tables into the lake and possibly even a person! They each got 3 citations and the police waited there till they packed up all of their stuff and were then thrown out of the park. Now, even though the officers were there, it didn't prevent them from exiting the park in a loud and obnoxious manner, cursing, laughing, and just plain being stupid. Needless to say none of us really got back to sleep. Ben was awake most of this time and only slept till about 6:30.

When we all got up in the morning we compared notes on what had happened and were grateful they got thrown out! We had a great pancake breakfast then decided to pack up early because the kids were all so tired! I don't know about the rest of them, but Ben took a 3-hour nap this afternoon, which he REALLY needed!

Even though we didn't get much sleep we still had a great time and will possibly go camping again later this year when the weather starts to cool off! Here are some pictures of our trip and I'll post a couple of select favorites on my photo blog.



























Shannon  – (May 10, 2008 11:22 PM)  

You got some seriously great pictures missy! I need those ones of Ben and Brady, too cute! And the sunset was gorgeous (I just couldn't get mine to post vertically! Gah!). And once again, I am SO glad my body decided to let me be a hard sleeper for the night!

ambyr  – (May 10, 2008 11:26 PM)  

that sounds like so much fun!!! that's crazy about what happened!! i've always loved camping..well, in utah. It has to be so darn hot here in texas!!

Mubeen  – (May 10, 2008 11:34 PM)  

Very cute pictures! Looks like so much fun!

Kelli  – (May 11, 2008 2:52 PM)  

I'm thinking in the early Fall when it just starts to cool off we do it again. It was a lot of fun and the kids loved it.

Ginny  – (May 12, 2008 11:29 AM)  

I'm glad you're at least willing to try again--what a crazy adventure! I have to say, though, that we had more fun when we got stuck for an hour in Nevada with 5 kids in the car during some road construction and one car full of 20-somethings decided to suntan bare! The police helped them along too, but they were stuck in the same traffic we were. I'm very glad you & your 20-something friends are a lot more responsible and just as fun!

Unknown  – (May 12, 2008 12:13 PM)  

You are very brave. I guess it was easy since Ben isn't in a crib anymore. Sorry about the neighbors. Why is it always that way???

Unknown  – (May 12, 2008 12:14 PM)  

OH, and the pics are great! I love the shoe shot.

the MILKY way (Chrissy)  – (May 12, 2008 4:56 PM)  

Great pics!!! Looks like a fun weekend. Makes me want to go camping! Well, except for the idiots making a ruckus.

Kelli  – (May 12, 2008 10:06 PM)  

Hey, look, you can see some of our crazy neighbors in the background of one picture!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

All images on my blogs are © 2009 Missy Saunders Photography and Design. Please do not use without my permission.

Stealing is mean!