Saunders 2011 Recap

This year has been crazy, fun, busy, exhausting, inspiring, test-filled, and all around great. here are some recaps (I stole this idea from Jenny G).

Shelby:
- Turned 1 this year.
- Is now 20 months old.
- Learned how to walk around 14-months.
- Suddenly started talking around 18-months and doesn't stop.
- Learned how to color on walls. And doors. And chairs. And tables.
- Quickly learned you're not supposed to color on walls or doors or chairs or tables.
- Tightened her grip on John's heart strings and refuses to let go.
- Developed a close connection with many of her extended family members (Cecily, Nikki, Chrystal, Grandma, Ginny).
- Learned to walk then learned to dance and she just can't stop. Can't stop!
- Has refused to grow hair past her ears.
- Learned all her body parts and can say them all.
- Developed a huge affection for boy toys, baby dolls and "pincess" dolls (as she calls them).
- Started nursery at church and we are so grateful! It just makes church so much easier. Especially since we have 11am church!

Ben:
- Turned 5 this year in spectacular Star Wars birthday party style complete with Obi Wan Kenobi and defeating Darth Vader AND destroying the death star.
- Started Kindergarten this fall.
- Learned how to read.
- Can do simple math (addition), something he's learned on his own.
- Grows hair about 100x faster than his sister.
- Misses his mom and Shelby while he's at school. He's grown a little jealous of the attention Shelby gets at home by herself.
- Misses John more than anything when he works late days (which is pretty often).
- Has super human kid strength and can lift/carry/flip to the point where I'm considering putting him in a tumbling class. Probably just baseball in the fall, though.
- Spent his 6th Christmas away from home for the first time and almost discovered that Mom and Dad are Santa.
- Refuses to play Wii anymore because he says it's boring. I honestly don't mind.
- Learned that smothering his little sister is not the way to make her happy.
- He's made tons of friends at school and his teachers and the staff adore him. I'm so glad he is so well behaved at school because he lets it all out at home. It's tough being a good kid all the time!
- Learned about life and death when my Uncle Mitch passed away this year. It really concerned Ben he never knew Mitch (he had been sick for many years) and he still talks about Mitch being in heaven and not sick anymore and can't wait till Jesus comes so he can see Mitch again.
- He says really, really great prayers.
- Wants to read all the HP books this year (one of his goals for me and him).

Missy:
- Shot 6 weddings this year.
- Got to shoot the wedding of one of my past young women. It was so awesome to be able to do that and I hope I get to do more!
- Did a ton of family shoots this year. But I kept it light because I've wanted to slow down photography to keep up with all we wanted to do this year on our house.
- Laid tile, organized closets and the kitchen, painted and painted and painted, framed out our master bath mirror, put down baseboards, grouted, caulked, painted and painted, oh, and I painted some more.
- Kept myself sane half the year with 2 kids at home and happily sent Ben to school this fall.
- Spent most of the year with my young women only to get abruptly released a few months ago and am now the Relief Society Weekday Meeting Coordinator. It's been great being back in Relief Society but I MISS MY GIRLS!
- Has lost 15lbs and am working on more.
- Planned, budgeted and survived a family trip to Florida for Christmas. BEST. TRIP. EVER.
- Continued my love of Pinterest, Harry Potter, and photography.

John:
- Was promoted to Repair Manager at work. It came with lots of perks. He's so happy. Which makes me happy.
- Works and works and works. He works hard so I can stay home with the kids and I love him for it.
- Got to go pig hunting with his brother this year.
- Went golfing a few times with buddies at church.
- Grew a beard.
- Is still the Assistant Executive Secretary at church a calling he's had for years!
- Lost over 30 pounds.
- Developed a ganglion cyst on his wrist from his work and will have to have surgery in 2012. Nothing major though.
- Got to go to Donuts with Dad at school with Ben.
- Drove more on our road trip than I could have ever hoped and I have no idea how he stayed awake the entire time. He's just awesome.
- Misses our kids to death when he has to work so much. They adore him!
- Continues to shoot weddings and families (when he can) with me and I am so grateful to have him with me on shoots. It's so fun! He takes great pictures.

As a family:
- We've been reading the Book of Mormon.
- We got our home ready to put on the market (though we're still in the process of doing the final touches on that).
- Spent lots of Saturdays at Fuzzy's Tacos for lunch. Our favorite place!
- Watched lots and lots of movies together on Saturday afternoons. Especially Star Wars on Bluray and Harry Potter and watched Thor so many times I've lost track.
- Spent 5 days in Orlando, Florida for Christmas this year and had the greatest time. It was just completely awesome!

It was a really great year and we have some goals planned out or 2012 we are excited about as well. Here are a few pictures from our trip! (Oh, and Jalei and Regina. We ran into Marnie Cochran at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! What are the odds??)

Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom
Soooo many people. Nothing like Hogsmeade in the middle of the day, though!
Day 2, Disney Hollywood Studios
Ben doing Jedi Training Academy. Awesome. And free!
Okay, not technically free because we bought the tshirt.

Days 3 and 4 at Universal (specifically Wizarding World of Harry Potter). My new favorite place! This was how crowded it is at 8:30am!
Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks
Jurassic Park area at Universal (we spent most of our time in WWoHP though)
Don't you just love this place?
The Sorting Hat! I'm such a dork!
My favorite pic of the entire trip. It's just magical. I know, I'm a dork and I'm proud of it!
Frozen Butter Beer. It's so good!

We had THE BEST time! And we want to go back every year if we can. Something we're adding to our 2012 goals. :)

Jalei & Lane  – (January 04, 2012 5:58 PM)  

I can't wait to take the kids to this place! And that IS random that you saw Marnie!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa}  – (January 04, 2012 6:46 PM)  

Your vacation looks like it was incredible. It's on my list of places I want to take the kids. I'll have to get vacation tips from you.

The Piersons  – (January 05, 2012 9:01 PM)  

Wow, your trip looks like so much fun. I have always been so intimidated of going there but you made it look like a blast.

Love your 2011 recap!

Regina  – (January 13, 2012 2:54 PM)  

Love your recap and LOVE the pictures! I have never really been that interested in going to Disney Land, but these pics make it look like we should! And yes, so random to run into Marnie there! Haven't seen her in a couple years except in Christmas cards!! Actually...haven't seen YOU in a couple years except thru the blog!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

All images on my blogs are © 2009 Missy Saunders Photography and Design. Please do not use without my permission.

Stealing is mean!